June 29, 2006
Source: Brandon University:
BU School of Music Releases New CD: Music at Brandon University - Volume II
BRANDON, MB – BU School of Music is pleased to announce the release of its new CD. Music from Brandon University - Volume 2 was recorded in 2004 and features student performances by soloists, chamber groups and large ensembles. All selections were recorded in the 200-seat Lorne Watson Recital Hall or 800-seat Western Manitoba Centennial Auditorium.
Performers include the BU Chorale directed by Andrée Dagenais, BU Guitar Ensemble directed by David Letkemann, BU Orchestra directed by Mark Rudoff, pianists Sergei Saratovsky, Michelle Price, Maryna Hrechkina, Drew Quiring and Christina Edwards, the BU Jazz Quartet (featuring saxophonist Michael Carter, guitarist Dale Normandeau, drummer Graydon Cramer, and bassist Jason Munroe), violinists Janna Sailor and Amelia Mori, violist Adam Pappas, cellists Gabrielle Thiessen, Alex Thiessen and Nathaniel Froese, flutist Amanda Schenstead and soprano Judith Oatway.
Two of the tracks are world premiere recordings. Sergei Saratovsky performs Butterflies and Bobcats (2003) by Regina-based composer David L. McIntyre. This was the commissioned piece for the 27th Eckhardt-Gramatté National Music Competition, in 2004. The performance was recorded just prior to the Competition at which Saratovsky won second prize. Although the composer has subsequently revised the work, he has permitted the original version to appear on this recording. The second world premiere recording is of It Was a Lover and His Lass (2002) by T. Patrick Carrabré, who is a member of the BU School of Music faculty. Other works on the CD are by Vaughan Williams, Rodgers and Hart, Piston, Morel, Prévin, Davies and Shostakovich.
The release of the recording coincides with the School of Music’s 100th anniversary reunion, which will be held this August. Almost 200 people have already registered for this event, which is bringing back to Brandon graduates from across Canada, the United States and Europe. The Department of Music at Brandon College was founded in 1906. The following year, Dr. William Lewis Wright, a pupil of the great Leopold Godowsky, took over as Director of Music, a position he held for forty years. Music courses for degree credit were introduced in 1938, and in 1948 Lorne Watson took over as Director of Music. Under his leadership, the first Bachelor of Music program in Manitoba was launched in 1963. Brandon University introduced the province’s first concurrent music education program in 1976, first graduate music program in 1980, first graduate music education program in 1981, and first jazz studies program in 2002. The exquisite Queen Elizabeth II Music Building opened in 1985. There are currently 20 full-time faculty members at BU School of Music and enrolment is limited to 50 new students each year.
Music from Brandon University - Volume II is available at BU Campus Books and at the Brandon University School of Music general office.
For more information, please contact:
School of Music general office
Phone (204) 727-9631
Phone: (204) 727-9762
- 30 -