What are the typical volunteer activities occurring at your organization?
Working with the supervision, support and direction of Parent Support Services Society of BC (PSS) staff, including the GRG Program Coordinator, and with the support of the local partnering agency and Steering Committee, the volunteer facilitator plays a key role in the development and continued operation of the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Circle.
The volunteer will devote the majority of her/his time and efforts to providing direct services, and is also responsible for completing the required administrative tasks in a timely and competent manner. Volunteer facilitators are encouraged to take advantage of ongoing personal and professional development opportunities, both locally and through PSS, to enhance their skills and understanding.
Direct Service Delivery
1. to contact/accept new referrals into the group according to established local procedures
2. to facilitate weekly Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Circle meetings according to organizational guidelines as specified in the Facilitator's Handbook and in cooperation with local host agencies
3. to arrange for child care and transportation subsidies as required
4. to devote sufficient effort and time to establishing and maintaining a healthy relationship with co-facilitator
5. to advocate on behalf of the grandparents raising grandchildren, when invited to do so, and when it is in the grandparent families best interest
6. to be aware of other community resources, and offer referrals to members, as appropriate
7. to be an active member of the local Steering Committee, to the extent possible, and in a manner consistent with the role of group facilitators
8. to promote the program to the community at large
9. to provide a positive role model for grandparents raising grandchildren
10. to meet duties and responsibilities in an ethical manner at all times
1. to complete monthly group statistic forms as per policy
2. to establish and manage a seed account (if necessary) to meet group expenses
3. to ensure an appropriate meeting place is arranged/maintained
4. to ensure arrangements for group supplies, coffee supplies, etc. are made
5. to remain informed about agency policies and procedures
6. to take advantage of opportunities to participate in the development of agency policy and procedures
Personal and Professional Development
1. to complete the PSS Initial Facilitator Training workshop as required
2. to complete any other initial or ongoing training as required
3. to remain aware of and participate to the extent possible in other professional and personal development opportunities as may be provided by PSS, local agencies and/or other resources