Planned Parenthood Newfoundland Labrador Sexual Health CentreDescription: Planned Parenthood is a non-profit, pro-choice sexual health centre serving all parts of the province.
Vision: a province where all people experience positive sexual health.
Mission: to promote positive sexual health through education, community partnerships, information and services within an environment that supports and respects individual choice.
- To provide knowledge, resources and skills needed to make informed sexual health choices
- To promote positive sexual health attitudes and practices.
- To encourage a pro-active approach to sexual health education and practices.
- To provide sexual health services and education in cooperation with community partners.
We work cooperatively with community-based and government organizations to achieve the goals of positive attitudes toward sexuality, responsible sexual practices and preventive health care.
, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender
, Health and Medicine
Volunteer Information for Planned Parenthood Newfoundland Labrador Sexual Health Centre
What services does your organization provide?
- Pregnancy Testing
- Physicians clinics
- Pregnancy options counselling
- Pap tests and breast exams
- Birth control counselling
- Healthy sexuality education
- Free condoms and packets of lubricant
- Fertility awareness
- Emergency contraception information
- Menopause information and resources
- Sexuality education for all phases of life
- Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections
- Support and referral for gay/lesbian/bisexual issues
- Affordable birth control options - pills, spermicides, female condoms etc
- Public speakers/workshops for schools, youth and community groups and agencies
Do you have any age requirements?
We usually prefer volunteers to be at least 18 years of age.
Do you require language proficiency other than in English?
What time commitment(s) are you expecting from a volunteer?
We ask centre volunteers to commit one 3-hour shift at Planned Parenthood each week. Planned Parenthood staff are happy to work with you around your school and work schedules.
Are there any specific skills and experience required?
Administrative skills, communicating and interacting with diverse populations, ability to act in a confidential, respectful and inclusive manner. Commitment to our values. Passion and interest in reproductive and sexual health.
What type of volunteer positions are typically available?
Clinic Volunteers and Board of Directors
Is there any training provided for volunteers?
The two-day volunteer training sessions provide volunteers with a comprehensive background in sexual health issues, including training in clinic procedures, methods of birth control, and how to work any equipment they will be asked to use. The sessions will emphasize the topic of confidentiality and how it applies to their work in the centre. All volunteers must understand and agree to Planned Parenthood's strict policy on confidentiality.
What are the typical volunteer activities occurring at your organization?
- Assisting centre staff in providing services to clients (assisting clients of the medical clinic, providing pregnancy testing and options counseling; assisting drop-in clients)
- Answering the phone and scheduling appointments for the doctors' clinics
- Responding to requests for information
- Providing general information on services of Planned Parenthood.
- Maintaining the Resource Centre
- Helping with fundraising and special event planning
- Other office-related duties (photocopying, filing, etc.)
Board of Directors:The Board of Directors is elected by the members of Planned Parenthood to run the organization. It sets policy, speaks on behalf of the members, and directs the Executive Director on the operations of Planned Parenthood. During the course of the year, the board discusses and sets policy, helps to raise public awareness of Planned Parenthood and its aims, organizes fundraising events and makes decisions about the organization's programs and services.
The board of directors meets once a month. The President compiles an agenda before the meeting, with input from the Executive Director and the board. At the meeting, the President guides the board through the agenda, allowing everyone a chance to speak on each item. Every board member is entitled to one vote -- the chair votes only to break a tie.
Do you accept high school students?
Photos, Videos and Social Media Networks